Minced Media on Twitter Facebook LinkedIn

Sunday, March 04, 2007

Teens Know Best -- Getting Started Early in Business

I love fusion words. They illustrate how flexible we've become and how we continue to evolve. For example, first came the term , to designate a person who "organizes, operates, and assumes the risk for a business venture," according to the American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language. More recently, we've heard the term , which is a fusion of "Mom" and "entrepreneur." These are female business owners with children at home. Many of these mothers are work-at-home parents.

Recently, I discovered the term Teenpreneur and . The . These days, teen entrepreneurs have advanced well beyond babysitting, mowing grass and after-school fast food jobs. Thanks to organizations like the SBA and Junior Achievement, .

As a high schooler, I was very active in Junior Achievement, even winning a few sales contests (see picture). Being able to combine sales acumen, speaking skills and financial management at an early age contributed to my future success. I'm glad to see J.A. is still around and keeping up with the times.

All these teen business resources make me wish I was more motivated at sixteen...I might have become a female Donald Trump or Bill Gates. Well, without the bad hair, anyway. You know, in today's crazy job market, learning about business is essential for future career development, regardless of one's focus. Kudos to Web sites who recognize the value and cater to teen visitors.

No comments: