Minced Media on Twitter Facebook LinkedIn

Thursday, March 24, 2005

Slow-Loading Sites Suck Eggs on Purpose

Before you know it, it'll be Easter (Sunday, March 27, 2005) and then Passover (Saturday, April 23, 2005 at sundown). So I was just thinking about eggs, which led me to thoughts about sites that happen to suck them...big time.

Is it just me or is everyone else annoyed at those deliberately slow-loading Web sites? Apparently, they're designed to make sure you notice and read the top banner ad while you wait (endlessly) for content to load. I'm sure some e-marketing wizard thought this was an exceptional idea, and I agree. It's exceptionally bad.

But I get it. Everyone is questioning online advertising expenditures, more than ever before. A Webmaster or ad network rep wants to show advertisers that impressions are really impressions. But this dumbass delay tactic alienates folks while they ponder what the !&^$#*^ is wrong with your coding, server or worse, your entire organization.

Nothing like holding a site visitor hostage...or not, while they give up and browse to your competitor. Geez.

[ technorati: , , , , ]

No comments: